Important Absentee Voting by Mail Information
Absentee ballots may be requested up to 180 days prior to an election. A completed application must first be received before an absentee ballot is issued. Complete the form online or contact the Voter Registrations and Elections Division at 706.384.4390 to request an application by mail or fax.
Online applications must be downloaded, signed, and returned to the Voter Registrations and Elections Division before an absentee ballot is issued. Voters can submit the application using one of the following methods:
- Scan and email to email@example.com
- Fax to 706.384.3506
- Deliver in person to the County Voter Registrations and Elections Division at 211 Athens Street, Carnesville, GA 30521
- Mail to Franklin County Elections and Voter Registrations at P.O. Box 313 Carnesville, GA 30521
To check your absentee ballot status, voter registration status, or to view a sample ballot, please visit the Secretary of State’s My Voter Page at http://www.mvp.sos.ga.gov/. Please enter the requested identifying information and status information will be provided.
How to Vote Your Absentee Ballot
- Use a black or blue pen
- Completely fill in the oval to the left of the candidate’s name or issue (if a yes or no question).
- Only fill in the oval for the number of votes you may cast in one race, i.e. vote for one, vote for two. If you fill-in more than allowed, that race will not be counted on your ballot.
- Do not write in a name that is already listed on the ballot.
- If you desire to vote at your polling place, you must surrender your absentee ballot at your poll or the Elections and Registration Office. The ballot will be cancelled and you will be allowed to vote an electronic ballot at the poll.
- Place your voted ballot only in the envelopes provided. Do not place another person’s voted ballot in the envelopes.
- Carefully follow instructions for return envelopes.
- Please ensure that you correctly write your month and date of birth.
- Sign the oath. If a voter cannot sign his/her name, the voter must still make a mark on the signature line. Note: Neither a power of attorney nor a signature stamp is acceptable.
- If the voter received assistance in voting the ballot, the person assisting must also sign where indicated.
- If your original ballot is lost, spoiled, damaged, or marked in error, please call 706.384.4390 for instructions.
- You must return your voted ballot in the envelopes provided.
- You may return your ballot by mail, express delivery, or personally deliver your own voted ballot to the Franklin County Elections and Registration Office.
- By Georgia Law, ballots may not be returned to the Franklin County Elections and Registration Office by anyone other than the voter, unless the voter is disabled.
- Voted ballots may not be faxed or electronically submitted, unless the voter is military, overseas, or dependents of either.
- No voted ballots may be turned in at any polling location for counting.
- All voted ballots must be received in the Elections and Registration Office by 7:00pm on election night to be counted.
- Please contact the Elections and Registration Office for additional details regarding the return of absentee ballots.